Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Pesto
The foods that I was exposed to as a child were very limited, very midwestern meat and potatoes. As I grew older one of my great joys was to try new foods. When I was introduced to tacos, it was love at first bite. Now, I’m a firm believer that it’s always a good time for tacos. Now with two elementary school aged children, I try to introduce them to new foods regularly and keep things nutritionally sound. With these Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Pesto, I’m able to enjoy indulging my weekly taco habit, keep expanding my kids' palate and keep things healthful.
Vegan, gluten-free, and packed with all kinds of good-for-you ingredients, this taco filling is completely satisfying even to those who usually demand some kind of meat at dinner (i.e. my husband, Jeff).
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER TACOS WITH CILANTRO PESTO
for the taco:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pressed raw garlic (or minced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 small or 1 large avocado, sliced
- cilantro pesto (recipe below)
- optional garnishes: pickled red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeno, sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt.
for the cilantro pesto:
- 2 cups cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup almonds
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Chop the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, then toss with olive oil, salt, cumin, coriander, and fresh pressed garlic. Spread out on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and roast at 400 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes, until cauliflower is tender and caramelizing on the edges.
- Meanwhile, make the cilantro pesto by adding all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and blending until well-combined. I like to leave it a tiny bit chunky so you can see the flecks of the herbs.
- Warm corn tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat, or directly over the burner on the stove to slightly char. In each tortilla, place a scoop of roasted cauliflower, then top with avocado slices, garnishes, and a drizzle of cilantro pesto.