I am pretty excited that the month of all things apples is quickly approaching. I’m happy to be sharing this Grilled Cheese with Apple + Honey as my very first apple recipe of the season. And while there may be many more to come, this sandwich is near the top of my list of the most crave-worthy, comforting, and cozy recipes. It’s sweet, salty, and extra cheesy. Slice the apples thin so that they soften up while cooking and then as soon as the sandwich comes out of the Panini press or pan, drizzle it with a touch more of honey and a sprinkle of fresh thyme. No debating this step, you just have to do it. It might not seem all that necessary, but I promise you, it’s what makes this sandwich so extra special. And, the Heirloom Family Kitchen kids looove it.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 Honeycrisp apple, sliced thin
- 2 oz white cheddar cheese (about 2 slices)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp Sourwood Honey
- Heat a Panini press or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread the outside of each slice of bread with butter.
- Evenly layer the cheese and apples on the inside of half of the bread slices.
- Drizzle honey over the top of the cheese and apple slices and sprinkle with thyme.
- Add the top piece of bread, buttered side facing up.
- Place the sandwiches, one at a time, into the Panini press and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Serve each sandwich with a drizzle of honey and fresh thyme.